Thursday, February 16, 2012

How much do you spend on a wedding present?

Just heard a suggestion that you should spend as much on a wedding gift as the couple spent on entertaining you. Has anyone ever heard that before? (As in, a formal, sit down dinner reception requires a nicer gift than a more casual, buffet style reception.)



Also, if you have to fly to the wedding (halfway across the country) then is it acceptable to spend less on the present because you already spent a lot to be able to attend?



Thoughts? Thanks!How much do you spend on a wedding present?
I have heard it before, but I usually follow the " give what you can" rule. I'm not getting married till 2010 but I don't expect my guests to go out and spend $100 on us.



When I go to a wedding I give what I can. If money is tight I give $20 or$25 at the shower then either money or a gift of $25-$50



If I can afford it I give between $75-$100 sometimes more if I can and depending how close I am to the person.



While gifts are nice, I don't want to put any pressure on people to give a large gift or anything at all. Some of the people on my potential gust list are struggling to get by, if they can make it at all that means more to me than anything.
I have heard that suggestion as well, but how can you know how much they spent on your meal? I have known of buffets that were $35.00 per person and sit down dinners that were only $25.00 per plate.



I for one am not about to ask someone how much they are spending per person, so I base the amount of the gift on how well I know the person. Casual friends get less and close friends and family get more. It shouldn't be more than you can afford.



I just traveled to my nephews wedding, several states away. I would never dream of giving less for a gift because I CHOSE to travel to the wedding.How much do you spend on a wedding present?
I've heard about the covering your plate guideline, but I never followed that. The couple plans the wedding they want (as they should). I am not there to help defray the costs, I'm there to celebrate their new marriage.



I usually give $100-$150 as a couple, more if it was family or someone very close. I don't take my travel expenses into account.



We had a destination wedding and spent about $1,000 per person between airfare, hotels, reception. I certainly did not expect to recover that, and I didn't. That's not why they were invited.
I guess it depends on how close you are to the couple. I'd spend $25 to $50 on a gift.



My cousin that I hadn't seen since he was 2 was getting married 1/2 way cross the country. I'd have to get a flight, hotel, rental car, and a new dress. After allllllll of that expense, I would have no money left and he'd be getting no gift. My presence would have to serve as his present.



Etiquette says you're never expected to bring/ send a gift, so however much or little you spend doesn't really matter. Just that you showed up and thought enough to buy them anything.

How much do you spend on a wedding present?
Where did you get the idea that a buffet style dinner is cheaper than a sit down?? Not here, And you should give about the same amount that the couple spent on your dinner, usually $50.00 per person. Unless the wedding was held a someones house. A family style sit down dinner is really preferred, not plated. you spend to much money on plated dinners, and your guest don't have enough food.
it honestly depends on how close you are to this person. if your just a mutual friend you dnt want to buy a cheap prsent. But if your like a bff you should get something as worthy as you would like her to give you for your wedding. I would say if your a mutual friend $50-, and if your close $100-or+. Honestly what does a couple need when they get married? They need all the easy stuff, cute pieces for the house, blenders, silverware, house plate sets, a table, etc... =)
no, even if you travel, pay for hotel, etc the bride and groom's gift shouldn't suffer. you still have to remunerate them for what they're paying for your meal etc at the reception. min $100, $200 if you bring a date.
$100 if you are bringing a guest, minimum. It is your choice to fly in to the wedding so I would not give less because of that. I agree you give what you can afford, which is better than nothing.
You should spend as much on the present as the couple spent on your meal at the reception. The gift should cover the cost of your food/drinks (unless it's a cash bar, then just whatever they pay for).
50 dollar minimum!!!
Spend what you can afford.
Not know well $50 bucks



Family $ up to 200
look online to see some interesting ideas :)



http://TheStylishWedding.com/articles

No comments:

Post a Comment