Sunday, February 26, 2012

I need some legal advice?

I just don't know where else to go. Bare with me, this might be a little long =]

Okay, so I work at the old country buffet as a cashier. So a couple Sundays ago, the 31st of May. I was closing that night and at the end of the night, me and the manager counted down the drawer as usual and all of the money was there.

Okay so we drop the money into this machine, and the brinks company comes and picks it up.

So this old machine we had was giving us problems. It kept just shutting down at random, and of course my luck. It shut down on me.

I was on my last 200 dollars. Two 100 dollar bills. and right after they were about the be counted into the rest of the money, the screen went black. My manager finally reset it after like 5 minuets of it not working. And when I printed my total slip, the 200 dollars wasn't counted.



So it's been almost 2 weeks, and my managers said that the machine probably just didn't count it, and BRINKS will call us once they count the cartridge. So today they called and they said it wasn't in there..



So I honestly don't know what to do, my manager told me as the cashier, I take full responsibility. And I don't see how this is fair?!?! I put it in the machine, I would never steal it. But everyone is saying then where is it? Where did it go?!?! And I don't know!

I've thought about this alot and I thought of only two things that could have happened..the machine could have ate it up? Or the guy that counted the cartridge took it!



I'm only 17 and I just feel sooo helpless right now.

I mean I know it's only 200 dollars. but I don't want to take responsibility for something that is beyond my control.

Please someone help?!?!I need some legal advice?
Was your manager there the whole time when you were counting money? Did he personally see that you did not take the $200?

How old is your manager?

Lastly, was there a video camera in the store - some way of proving you did not take the money?



If your manager was there to witness that you did not take the money, and he actually gave you permission to let the $200 go unaccounted for, then this was his fault.



He is just putting all the responsibility you, because losing $200 of the store's money makes the manager look very bad - it is ultimately the manager's responsibility because his job is to oversees the cashiers, and not let any money go unaccounted for.



There is nothing to prove you did take the money so don't worry.



My advice is you have 2 options:



Option 1. Do not take any responsibility for it. If he makes a big deal about it and fires you - file a petition with the corporate headquarters (look up their number on the internet). If your parents are rich, you can even file a law suit - because they fired you for something you did not do, and have no proof of.



Option 2. If your manager has the power to fire you, then next time when you speak to your manager, tell him that you don't want to be responsible for something you did not do, and see what he says (make sure you guys are alone in his office). If he says "you will be fired if you don't take responsibility", then tell him you agree to pay the money because you don't want to get fired, but you will need to give him the money the next time you come to work because you don't have any on you. Never directly admit you stole the money - just say you will pay because you don't want to get fired (this is if he is threatening to fire you).

Then when you get home, turn in your resignation and quit - that way he cannot fire you. This is if you want to end this thing without much of a hassle (petitions, etc.) . If you quit, it will not reflect in your employment history that you've been fired.



Edit: They cannot take the $200 out of your check for no reason. They neef proof, without proof they will not take the $200 out. If they do, you can call the corporate headquarters and file a petition of some sort. If that doesn't work, then file a complaint with the better business bureau or something. And there is nothing much you can do after that, because $200 is not worth filing a law suit over.



However, if you decided to let the $200 go unaccount for without asking him first, then it was your fault and you should take responsibility for it.
  • augsburg college
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment