Saturday, February 4, 2012

Do you leave a tip when you go to a Buffet?

I got a question that I have been thinking about...



Last Night I took my wife and son out to eat, We ate dinner at the Old Country Buffet....



We Served ourselves, and got our own drinks and everything, but there was this waitress who offered to get our drinks and such, but I told her we did not need her help...



All she did was clear the table when we were finished with our plates.....



I didn't leave a tip, caused It was not a "Real" Resturant, it was a self serve buffet.......



But as I was leaving, I saw some people leave tips and others did not......



My question is.....



Whas I right or wrong about not leaving a tip, and why?Do you leave a tip when you go to a Buffet?
I was a DRA(Dining Room Attendant). They are the lowest paid employees at Old Country Buffet, because of the tips that they make. Granted, a buffet isn't a "real" restaurant. But leaving a tip is cool. No more than $2 though.
It is polite to leave a tip. Although it is a self-serve buffet, the waitress/waiter still get your drinks, clear your plates, etc. They count on their tips just as other servers do. I always leave a tip, however, not at the same rate as formal restaurants. Have a Happy New Year.Do you leave a tip when you go to a Buffet?
well, sometimes yes, when i dont like something thats there i just waste it, like if i have had one bite. its really embarrising unless its at home, LOL!
If there was some service liek taking plates and getting drinks, then I would leave a tip. If there was no service, then no tip.Do you leave a tip when you go to a Buffet?
Yes I always leave a tip but also let her get my drinks or condiments or whatever. Usually there are several plates after you eat a buffet and someone has to clear those and keep you happy. A couple dollars is what I leave per person.
I do leave a tip at a buffet because they do still have to wait on our tables to clear our mess and they usually also bring clean utensils and plates as well as drinks. I just give less of a tip than I would for full service. For a full sit-down, I give 20%. For a buffet, I give 10%.
Sometimes I leave a tip at a buffet depending on the server. If he/she is attentive and offers to get drink refills, quickly removes dirty plates,gets extra napkins, etc. then I will generally leave a tip.
If the waitress brings plates, gets drinks, and dinner rolls I leave $2 if they don't do anything I don't leave anything.
you should leave a tip. i would leave a tip becuase someone is cleaning up your mess you made.
I really do not think a tip is appropriate but I also wanted to say buffets are disgusting places and i do not understand why people eat there other than to overstuff themeslves like pigs plus why would you want to go where the entire place of people are breathing all over the food and handling the serving utensils doesn't that just make you want to hurl?
I don't think you were wrong. Usually. I will leave a couple of bucks but I have never given he reason why much thought. People tip at "real" restaurants because the waitresses are paid a small hourly wage and tips are the majority of their income. I have never inquired about how much the wait staff at a buffet makes per hour. Seems like something we all need to check.
IT is your choice to leave one or not
I figure if you get to have a nice meal that you don't have to shop for, cook or clean-up after, why not leave a tip for the staff??

If you can afford to eat out then you can afford to leave a tip.

Fast food is the only exception.

I guess at a buffet-style place I would would tip a dollar per person.

Good question.
leaving a tip at a buffet is optional, I worked as a waiter for 5 yrs.
My sister works at a buffet and she says that you don't have to leave a tip but if a waiter/waitress helps you when you ask for their help it would be polite to leave a tip.
i would.they have to clean and cler the table and that is work!
I always leave a tip,because the wait staff is there to see to it that your table is clean,the dirty plates are removed,and to assist you with anything that you might need.These people are generally not paid much money.I appreciate the work they do,therefore the tip.
somewhat- when I eat at a buffet I tip less- but always something because waitresses depend on the tips-they get crappy regular pay
We generally leave a tip but not as much as a regular resturant. Normally about $2 will do it. We leave a tip for the waiter who offers us drinks. Also they spilt the tips left for them with the cooks.
Wait staff make below minimum wage and therefore they depend on tips as part of their salary. Depending the restaurant, they also may have to split their tips with other staff. I always tip. At buffets, I do tip less than at a regular restaurant but I always leave at least 10% depending on service because they do keep an eye on you to see if you need your drink replenished, clear your plates, etc. At a regular restaurant, I always tip 15% to 20% depending the quality of service, food, etc.
If there is a waitress who comes to the table occasionally to refill drink glasses or remove used plates, I usually leave a tip.
I say no because you are helping yourself to everything and the waitress gets payed anyways so why would they need a tip when they're not doing anything.
I always leave a tip
Yes you should leave a tip.The waitress only makes a small hourly wage"usually below min wage"and relies on tips as one does in a "real"restaurant even though you serve yourself mostly they still clean the table and normally bring your drinks and tend to whatever else you need.If i eat at a buffet with a friend we leave two to three dollars total depending on how quick we get our drinks,waiting for refills,and removing our dirty plates as we refill them etc.. i hope this helps ps even if others don't feel the need to tip a couple bucks from you might make the wait staffs day%26gt;
It is a buffet, you don't leave tips!!
  • campers
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment